- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TPW7o39F.dpuf Lishy Lishy: Breakfast Quinoa

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa


Depending on its preparation, I would say that Quinoa is an acquired taste.  I like it as a side dish for dinner, but a lot of people are turned off by the unique taste and texture. With this breakfast quinoa, however, I really don't think there is anything not to love about this hot cereal lookalike! The brown sugar, cinnamon and blueberries are great additions.  I found the recipe at http://www.marthastewart.com/314453/breakfast-quinoa, but I did tweak it a little.  I used almond milk and I have also used coconut milk in the past.  If using the coconut milk, I would recommend less brown sugar.  I also advise NOT covering it.  It only took a few boiling over incidents for me to just skip that step...

Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus more for serving
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
  • 1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving

Directions

  1. Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment